Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Two repeats and one special first

I assume there are still one or two of you out there who still check my blog (Hi Mom!) despite the fact that there hasn't been an update since the NBA was actually a functioning entity. I wish I had a sassily worded excuse for my absence, but I will say that in the past few months I have graduated (wait, you knew that), visited SeaWorld on two different coasts in the same month, got engaged (yeeha!), planned almost my entire wedding (too soon?), started my very first real job as an SLP, got my house broken into, bought TWO very large televisions (see aforementioned break in to explain), joined (and dominated) a fantasy football league (what's up, Darren McFadden. Much love.), cried through Kim Kardashian's televised wedding (did I admit that out loud?), and ran my very first 5k. Somehow, I don't know how, I managed to make 4 cakes. In 6 months. Sorry.

Let's get this thing started. The first cake was for one my very favorite people ever. My dear friend Teressa's daughter, Amaya, had her first birthday this August. I was delighted to be able to be a part of the celebration and I was able to contribute by making a small cake for the birthday girl to mangle and 4 dozen cupcakes for everyone else to enjoy. Amaya happens to be mesmerized by all things Dora the Explorer, so what a perfect choice for the party! We forgot the camera, yet again, so these pictures are taken on a cell phone. Ignore the quality.


I think maybe the colors were too subtle.

Here she is! 15 minutes before a sugar coma?
The next cake that I made you guys are all already familiar with. (Possibly.) Hot on the heels of last years blue ribbon at the state fair, I had to give it another go. The timing, however, was not fantastic. The weekend that the cake was due I had approximately 6,389 others things I had to do. Fine, I'm exaggerating, it was more like 5,389. Whatever. I simply did not have the time to put into it that I wanted and I was NOT happy with the results. I had intended to throw it away and swallow the lofty $1 entry fee that I had already paid, but Kevin would have none of it. He marched right down there with the cake and did not tell me what happened with it until much later. Poor guy, I can't imagine the panic when that thing started to fall over.
To my surprise, I actually won! I was excited, but here's the thing that bugs me: I lost Best In Show to a non-edible cake. For the second year in a row. Is that pure crap to anyone else? How is a non-edible cake even anywhere as difficult as a fully edible cake. Cause you can eat (though I wouldn't recommend it) EVERY part of my cake. I can make a mermaid fantasy land out of a bunch of crap from Michaels that you can't even eat too, but it doesn't mean I'm good at making cakes. (I'm looking at you, Best In Show Winner). Ok, off my soap box. Here's the cake.



I love the kitty!

See the pumpkins?


Remember a millions years ago when I made that zebra cake for that 16 year old girl with way more friends than I have people to invite to my wedding? Well, the office manager at my new job caught a glimpse of it and asked me to recreate it again for her daughter's birthday, only turquoise. I was excited for the chance to try again, I never liked the way the zebra stripes came out. (By the way, the day I made this cake I got up at 5 am and ran a 5k. Uphill. Both ways. Ok fine, uphill one way. But still.) The zebra stripes came out way better this time and (don't take away my Hello Kitty waffle iron for saying this) it's way cuter in turquoise than in pink.




This cake, as well as the Dora cake and the one coming up are buttercream instead of fondant. I'm doing more buttercream these days, cause, well, fondant is gross.

This last cake was for my friend Jenn to take to her friend's baby shower. The theme was "baby jungle" so we just went from there. She helped a lot, mostly by standing next to me and telling me what to do, but she made one killer banana. Oh, and Kevin was at the bar when I attempted to take my own pictures using his fancy schmancy camera. Note the artsy focus! Totally intentional.


I love the little lion!


Here's that banana. I placed it innocently in the monkey's hand. Let's just say that when Jenn did it, it was in a place much less appropriate for a baby shower.

So friends, I hope it was worth the wait. I don't do a lot of baking in the summer, mostly because the temperature in my house does not get below 3rd circle of hell. I've got two more cakes coming up this November and hopefully some holiday baking, but no guarentees. I mean, another Kardashian might get married and I just simply won't have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment